NCMS Project #: 140814
Problem: Over the last two decades, industry and DoD have been developing various enablers required to migrate from traditional time-based maintenance programs to maintenance programs based on the evidence of need. This type of maintenance program is known as a Condition Based Maintenance. The Marine Corps seeks to partner with the Department of Defense (DoD) CBM+ Action Group and industry to leverage both DoD doctrine and industry best practices in an effort to develop an enterprise suite of tools and associated processes which will not only assist Marine Corps leaders identify CBM+ requirements and budgets, but will act as a pilot for industry and DoD depicting how to take a holistic, enterprise-level approach to successful CBM+ implementation.
Benefit: The overall goal is to place real-time oil assessment in the field to increase combat essential equipment readiness. In addition, as a result of using mobile oil analysis technology along with new policies and procedures, maintenance cost should also decrease.
Solution/Approach: Due to successes of an earlier CBM+ Enterprise Implementation Initiative project, the Marine Corps has decided to further investigate two areas that were identified as a result of the initial analysis – namely, Enhanced Inventory Control (EIC) and Field Oil Condition Monitoring. The intended solution is to partner with the Marine Corps and industry to formally define and document the current gasp, vulnerabilities, assess alternatives, and validate requirements of enterprise-wide CBM+ implementation.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Improved data exchange between operational, logistics, sustainment and acquisition communities
- Reduced number of spares and consumable parts needed
- Reduced maintenance burden and costs
- Improved equipment readiness
- U.S. Marine Corps, (I&L (LPC-1)
- U.S. Marine Corps Capabilities Development and Integration (LID)
- OSD-Led Joint Service CBM+ Action Group
- Nexus Life Cycle Management
- Whitney, Bradley and Brown
- Claxton Logistics Services, LLC
Technology Focus Area(s):
- Cost savings
- Repair turnaround time
- Maintenance avoidance & reliability