Six finalists for the 2023 Maintenance Innovation Challenge (MIC) were announced today by the Department of Defense (DOD). They were selected by the DOD Joint Technology Exchange Group (JTEG) principals from 89 entries submitted by government, industry, and academic professionals. In alphabetical order, the finalists are:
- 3-in-1 Portable Surface Preparation System; Jeff Piascik, Atmospheric Plasma Solutions, Inc.
- Blue Light Scanner; Leonel Narvaez, Corpus Christi Army Depot
- Identifying Aircraft Pressurization Leaks Using Acoustic Imaging; Edward H. Marchbanks, 439 Maintenance Squadron, Westover ARB
- Marine Corps Platform Integration Center (MCPIC) Electronic Quality Management System (eQMS)-USMC LOGCOM/CGI Federal Partnership; Scott Prouse, USMC LOGCOM
- Navy Cold Spray Technologies; Mathew S. VanRavenhorst, NAVSEA 05T – NESAR
- Sprayable Bushing for Aircraft Wheels; Stoney Middleton, NAVAIR FRCSW
The six finalists will deliver presentations at the 2023 DOD Maintenance Symposium in San Diego, CA, in a breakout session scheduled for Monday, December 18, 3:30-5:00 pm EST. They will be evaluated by a panel of DOD senior maintenance leaders and commanders, after which an overall MIC Award winner will be selected. In addition, attendees to the presentations will select a “People’s Choice” winner.
The National Center for Manufacturing Sciences will provide each winner $50,000 of in-kind support.
Additional Opportunities for Entrants
MIC entrants who did not earned a finalist position have been invited to attend a technically focused session at the DOD Maintenance Symposium, where they will be given an opportunity to present those entries focused on enabling field-level maintenance. Additional details can be found on SAM.GOV at: https://sam.gov/opp/aab84ab75ba74df5b26f94ca8f09330a/view. In addition, the meeting co-sponsor, SAE, has extended a product demonstration opportunity on the exhibit hall floor.
SAE also has spaces remaining for those wanting to exhibit at the Defense Maintenance and Logistics Exhibition co-located with the Maintenance Symposium. For more information, visit: https://www.sae.org/attend/defense-maintenance-and-logistics-exhibition/.
Those wanting to attend the DOD Maintenance Symposium can do so by visiting https://www.sae.org/attend/dod.