NCMS Project #: 140865
Problem: Today, neither the general public nor military have available a rapid and agile high precision 3D scanner with micron resolution accuracy, capable of measuring surface quality and/or high precision dimensional parts for non-destructive inspection (NDI). As a result, poor decisions are often made to scrap vs. reuse, or repair if suitable.
Benefit: The ability to have an agile, high-speed, precision instrument capable of measuring precision surface finish, dimensional feature accuracies as a non-contact device will change metrology best practices and procedures in virtually every industry. The ability to expand the TSMI technology from the short-range prototype to medium range (5 meters) and ultimately long range (20 meters) will far exceed the precision data that the commercial industry currently has available.
Solution/Approach: The intent of the initiative is to develop a NDI Cell solution based on the combination of API’s commercially available 3D laser scanning technology known as RapidScan and the TSMI technology to address two major areas applicable to commercial and military maintenance or sustainment today:
- To provide an optical, non-contact, inspection work cell with the ability to acquire precision dimensional data of turbine rotor compressor blade profiles using API’s state-of-the-art commercial RapidScan technology.
- To provide higher precision surface/roughness measurement data using the API’s next general TSMI technology.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Strategically align with the J4 Goal for delivering integrated joint logistics capabilities
- Provides the basis of technology to deliver increased operational availability through CBM
- Delivers joint interoperable maintenance services capabilities
- Improves reliability, sustainability and reduces lifecycle costs
- U.S. Army (Letterkenny)
- U.S. Navy (Norfolk)
- U.S. Air Force (OC-ALC)
- U.S. Navy (FRC East)
- MDS Coating Technologies
- Automated Precision, Inc.
- Cost savings
- Repair turnaround time
- Mx avoidance & reliability