NCMS Project #: 140991
Problem: Regardless of the industry, energy and water are critical requirements for achieving the mission of an organization and ensuring continuity of operations. In denial of service situations, both the public and private sectors face a loss of productivity and resources and may not be able to maintain or sustain critical assets and tasks. Resilience is based on how an organization prepares for and responds to an adverse event, such as a cyber-attack on the electric grid or a natural disaster eliminating a link or multiple links in the supply chain. Current visibility into energy and water-related risks do not provide sufficient knowledge to assure mission resilience and empower investment decisions.
Benefit: The intent of this effort is to develop validated approaches for how the private sector can identify, evaluate, communicate, and prioritize approaches that build a pathway for higher quality systems improving energy and water resilience to meet mission requirements and enhance mission readiness.
Solution/Approach: To address these issues, this initiative will expand upon the growing understanding and documentation and look to build quantitative representations of mission process and supporting assets to assess behavior under normal and stressed conditions. By assessing the identified areas of vulnerability and uncertainty for their risk to mission, the team will be able to develop prioritization criteria to weigh and rank areas of vulnerability or uncertainty to assist in informed, strategic investment.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Mitigate risks
- Wholistic approach to energy and water resilience
- Assure warfighter readiness
- Office of the Assistant Secretary Air Force – Installations, Environment and Energy
- Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff of the Air Force for Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection
- Air Force Installations & Mission Support Center
- Air Force Civil Engineering Center
- Air Force Office of Energy Assurance
- Multiple Air Force Major Commands and Installations
- Department of Energy National Labs
- Concurrent Technologies Corporation
- Energy efficiency
- Energy, environmental, health, and safety