2023 CTMA Technology Competition
NCMS and the CTMA Program seek to support the National Defense Strategy by shining a spotlight on transformative maintenance and sustainment capabilities. The CTMA Technology Competition provides an opportunity for both commercial and government sources to showcase innovative ways of making maintenance and sustainment operations more agile, effective, efficient, and affordable. The review and selection process will be overseen by top DOD maintenance leaders, providing great exposure to all.
Submissions are encouraged by the government, academia, and industry. The submission period is now open and will close on Friday, April 14. Six finalists will be selected to give presentations to the judges at the Partners Meeting June 6-8 in New Orleans. At that time, two winners will be named:
- An Overall Award winner, to be selected by the judges
- A People’s Choice Award winner, to be selected by the audience attending the finalists’ presentations
NCMS will make available $100,000 in project support funding. The Overall Award winner and the People’s Choice Award winner will each be awarded $50,000 in CTMA project support funding. This funding will go toward a selected DOD demonstration activity, to the extent permitted under the existing CTMA cooperative agreement.
Submissions for the CTMA Technology Competition should include:
- An abstract that explains the technology, its current development status, test/simulation data supporting performance claims, and next steps for its development (350 words maximum)
- A quad chart (using the template provided above) that provides:
- A problem statement describing what problem the technology is meant to solve (80 words maximum)
- A solution statement describing the technology (80 words maximum)
- A benefits statement describing the expected impact of the technology (80 words maximum)
Additional formatting requirements:
- The Quad Chart MUST be completed using a 12pt font face. Attempts to make the type smaller so more than 80 words will fit will result in the entry being sent back
- Whatever graphics get inserted into the Quad Chart must ALSO be submitted separately in a high-resolution format (300 dpi) in an email.
Finally, all submissions will be published online and in print. By submitting, you are authorizing release to the public and that the submission has been vetted for public viewing and does not contain proprietary or confidential information.
Click here to see the published entry of the Overall Award winner from the 2021 CTMA Technology Competition.
Submissions will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Maintenance relevance/impact: How much does it impact maintenance? Does it improve the efficiency and/or effectiveness of current maintenance practices (e.g., cost, safety, cycle time, necessary manpower, readiness, etc.)?
- Originality/contribution to the state-of-the-art: How original or innovative is it?
- Avoidance of commercialism: Does it describe a technology and how it will improve maintenance, or does it attempt to market the organization?
- Technical maturity: How mature or ready is the technology? Has it been prototyped or successfully demonstrated?
- Cross-service applicability: Is it potentially applicable to all service branches of the military and the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA)?
- Feasibility/practicality: How viable would it be to transition the technology for use by the Department of Defense (DOD)? Considerations include DOD maintenance needs, needs of specific DOD programs, implementation, the readiness level of the technology, and the strength/validity of test or simulation data supporting performance claims.
Download the Quad Chart template.
Complete Quad chart using 12pt font and save. File must be saved as PowerPoint (pptx) format.
Complete all fields in the abstract submission form below.
Upload saved file. Submit form.
All submitted content must be reviewed and approved for public release.
- Following your submission, our team will review your submission.
- Once the submission is reviewed, our team will send you an email with any questions or additional information needs.
- A confirmation will be sent once the submission is input into the judging software.
- The 6 finalists will be notified on 4/28/2023. Please stay tuned for additional information.
- If you encounter an error with the following form, please email email@example.com with a description or your issue. Our team will follow up as soon as possible.
Submissions due: 4/14
Notification of the six finalists: 4/28
Finalist presentations during CTMA Partners Meeting: 6/6-8
If you have any questions or issues, please email: