NCMS Project #: 140492
Problem: Operations in OIF and current operations in OEF have identified several deficiencies in Material Management, Equipment Accountability/Visibility, Distribution Visibility and Material Readiness; record tracking of maintenance activities has also been insufficient. These deficiencies have had a negative impact on the Marine Air-Ground Task Force (MAGTF) ability to sustain current warfighter material requirements and capabilities. These deficiencies will continue during the retrograde from Afghanistan (Service R4 (Reset, Reconstitution, Right-Size, Re-Focus (R4)).
Overall, current logistics capabilities do not provide a seamless end-to-end logistics chain, resulting in increased equipment density, burdensome costs, and excessive wear on vehicles/equipment.
- More focused investment in critical military capability gaps.
- More precise ability to price maintenance activity and related scope of work due to a refinement in the status of equipment.
- A more efficient application of maintenance resources against priority maintenance tasks.
Solution/Approach: Project members, working closely with command elements of the U.S. Marine Corps will identify enhancements to existing systems and emerging technologies capable of short-term fielding that can meet near term logistical requirements (capabilities/systems). Five key tasks associated with this effort should help provide guidance in the decisions that the Marine Corps must make regarding long-term investments within the Combat Development System (CDS) to ensure that the right logistical force capabilities and systems are properly identified, coordinated, and acquired through the POM/Budget/Acquisition process to support evolving future Marine Corps operational concepts.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Reduction in costs due to a smaller maintenance pipeline of critical weapons systems and equipment.
- Increased Asset Visibility with respect to maintenance status in the maintenance pipeline.
- Increased Equipment Readiness (Maintenance).
- Decreased Restructuring/Reset Costs.
- Improved Maintenance Tracking.
- U.S. Marine Corps I&L (LPV)
- U.S. Marine Corps LOGCOM
- U.S. Marine Corps SYSCOM
- Anglicotech, LLC