Spin Pit Testing of Jet Engine Fan Disk:
- Require spin pit testing of 6 fan disks to confirm fatigue life and fracture mechanics.
- Low Cycle Fatigue limit and Fracture Mechanics results from Finite Element Analysis and risk assessment are already complete.
- Physical verification of fatigue initiation site and crack growth pattern is required through spin pit analysis.
- Bladed fan disk is ~50 inches in diameter, weighs ~136 pounds, and spins at ~10,000 RPMs.
- These are used disks that will have multiple non-destructive inspections completed to confirm starting conditions.
- Expect USAF and Original Equipment Manufacturer engineering participation in testing and evaluation of results.