This is a Request for Information (RFI) only. This RFI is issued solely for information and planning purposes – it does not constitute a Request for Proposal (RFP) or a promise to issue an RFP in the future. This request for information does not commit the Government to contract for any supply or service whatsoever. Furthermore, the Department of Navy (DON) is not at this time seeking proposals and will not accept unsolicited proposals. Responders are advised that the U.S. Government will not pay for any information or administrative costs incurred in response to this RFI. All costs associated with responding to this RFI will be solely at the interested party’s expense. Not responding to this RFI does not preclude participation in any future RFP, if any is issued.
Naval maintainers are seeking payload solutions for remotely-operated and/or unmanned vehicles (RO-UxVs) that can be used to identify, remediate, and restore areas affected by corrosion.
(Note: Payloads could be sensors, robotic arms, or other products that could support the detection, prevention and removal of corrosion.)
Corrosion is a perennial challenge for numerous platforms and facilities maintained by the United States Department of Navy (Navy and Marine Corps). Affected spaces vary from large unobstructed areas (i.e., the side of buildings and ships) to more spatially limited clearances (i.e., below the wing of a plane and under vehicles) but all have propensity to foster corrosion. This problem is estimated to cost the DON approximately $3B per year consuming critical amounts of time to return these systems back to fully operational status.
With the continued advances in the identification of corrosion as well as growing capability in RO-UxV-functionality, the DON is seeking to integrate these capabilities to mitigate corrosion. Any submitted information should help the DON understand (1) current Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 8+ solutions that can be immediately brought to realization, and (2) early-stage (<TRL 8) solutions that require additional efforts to bring to market. The DON is seeking solutions that can perform any single or combination of capabilities listed below with digital acquisition and transfer capability.
Solutions sought from these payloads include:
- Capability 1: Ability to identify corrosion.
- Capability 2: Ability to identify voids through coating systems.
- Capability 3: Ability to remove corrosion.
- Capability 4: Ability to create a bonding surface profile.
- Capability 5: Ability to apply a coating system (e.g., paint).
- Capability 6: Ability to perform 1-5 in complex geometries and confined spaces.
- Capability 7: Ability to perform 1-5 in an untethered manner.
- Payload must be RO-UxV agnostic.
- Below are sample systems the payload could be mounted on. These systems and links are for reference only. No RO-UxV is specifically endorsed via this RFI.
The DON is seeking to understand the following performance parameters, other information is welcome but please adhere to a single submittal per company not to exceed 5-pages maximum. In the Capabilities Summary Section please include the following information:
- Identification of existing government contracts, if any, through which the solution could be procured (contract number and CLIN as appropriate).
- Technology and Manufacturing Readiness Level.
- Performance specifications of the system.
- Photos of the system in use.
- Name and contact information for follow-on questions.
Please limit one submission per company. Companies wishing to submit information on multiple capabilities should do so within the 5-page constraint.
- What is the weight of the payload? (NOTE: DON has a preference for solutions weighing approximately 5 pounds or less for mounting on a variety of RO-UxVs.)
- What is the expected corrosion scan rate (area/time) that can be achieved with the system?
- What are the operational (e.g., geometric, environmental, spatial) limitations for the solution?
- What corrosion removal technique is proposed? (NOTE: DON substrates vary in the methods authorized for corrosion removal.)
- What is the expected coating application rate (area/time) that can be achieved with the system?
Interested Parties should complete and upload the following documents:
- Upload RFI Capability Summary (Word Document, not to exceed 5 pages).
- Cost Summary Form
Interested parties should complete the following form no later than COB Friday, October 9. Any questions can be directed to Debbie Lilu at firstname.lastname@example.org
The submission period has ended