NCMS Project #: 140719
Problem: It is very costly for commercial industry (including the DoD) to maintain IT capabilities in order to manage their day-to-day business. Industry continues to look for ways to operate more efficiently in order to maintain their IT cost competitiveness. Many companies today are investigating the feasibility of outsourcing IT and utilizing improving internet capabilities. One area continues to gain interest is Cloud Computing, specifically Platform as a Service (PaaS).
Benefit: The results of this initiative can be leveraged across DoD to drastically impact readiness planning and management through improved interoperability/access to more legacy systems and accurate data. Additionally, the DoD will enhance the ability to provide logistics support and reduce risk and sustainment costs.
Solution/Approach: The Marine Corps have similar problems with their IT systems and have shown a particular interest in using Cloud Computing as a solution. This CTMA initiative is a follow-on to a previous CTMA Master Data Management (MDM) Solutions initiative in which a multi-purpose shared data environment ELDW that provided global data aggregation and management, centralized reporting, and analytical processing for tactical and depot logistics systems was developed. This new initiative will take the previous efforts one step further by evaluating the integration of ELDW and PaaS to further reduce GCSS-MC interfaces, improve data accessibility, increase and improve legacy LOG IT system interoperability and reduce future capability development costs.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Support the Joint Logistics Enterprise
- Decrease sustainment costs
- Improve depot performance through increased interoperability of legacy systems
- Improve acquisition decision making
- Enhanced readiness due to more effective and efficient data analysis
- Reduced institutional TLCM risk
- Headquarters Marine Corps I&L (LPV)
- Marine Corps LOGCOM
- Marine Corps SYSCOM (PM, GCSS-MC and PM, Ammo)
- One Network Enterprises, Inc.
- Troika Solutions, LLC
Technology Focus Area(s):
- Maintenance management improvement