NCMS Project #: 142024
Problem: Despite the benefits, wireless technology comes with challenges. Managers looking to implement or upgrade a wireless application must identify the specific challenges that come with introducing this technology into a department’s daily workflow and devise solutions for those problems. Developing a feasible solution to these communication issues presented within a large organization such as the U.S. Army will demonstrate to commercial industries and the public the range of solutions that are possible. As such, this project will utilize U.S. Army organization and infrastructure (specifically the Stryker Brigade Combat Team’s maintenance depot organization) as a surrogate for an eventual industry solution that satisfies an essential public need.
Benefit: Efforts will focus on technology transfer of commercially available solutions into a military application, most notably in the area of cyber security and data protection. The results will be easily transferable back to the commercial industry, positively impacting the delivery of products to the public.
Solution/Approach: Phase II focused on improving communication and increasing productivity to the operational (tactical and sustainment) forces where users provided feedback on the operation and use of the wireless vehicle intercom system (WVI-S) on the Stryker vehicle platform. Phase III will develop the solution of testing, maintenance, sustainment, and fielding of the WVI-S to culminate this initiative in preparation for potential acquisition of a ready solution for digital wireless communications to commercial and public business, as well as the U.S. Army’s combat and maintenance support community.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Improve worker safety and productivity
- Flexible, reliable system with constant connectivity
- Untethered and hands-free operations
- Accelerate regulatory compliance and security
- Increase warfighter readiness
- U.S. Army Program Executive Office, Ground Combat Systems (PEO GCS)
- U.S. Army, Project Manager, Maneuver Combat Systems (PM MCS)
- U.S. Army, Product Director, Main Battle Tank Systems (PD MBTS)
- U.S. Army, Project Manager, Stryker Brigade Combat Team (PM SBCT)
- Ricardo Defense, Incorporated
- Cost savings
- Repair turn-around time
- Maintenance management improvement
- Energy efficiency
- Reliability improvement
- Reliability Improvement