NCMS Project #: 142072
Problem: When vital assets are unavailable due to unplanned maintenance or system failures and operations cannot be performed, reduced productivity, degraded profits, and dissatisfied customers results. For the DOD, this problem could threaten mission accomplishment. Currently, organizations in both private industry and within the DOD face obstacles in collecting, migrating, integrating, analyzing, and displaying the data generated on a single platform, as well as aggregated data at the various Fleet Management echelons, which limit an organization’s ability to implement Prognostics and Predictive Maintenance (PPMx).
Benefit: The activity will provide documented lessons that can be translated by private industry to improve maintenance activities for a variety of organizations through the powerful insights and lessons learned that can be used to improve vehicle sustainment through better, data-driven decisions.
Solution/Approach: The foundations of an end-to-end PPMx were established and demonstrated during Phase I of the PM Transportation PPMx Pilot project. Phase II of this initiative will be built upon the successes of Phase I and will address some of the key obstacles identified using a combination of commercial and government capabilities that will demonstrate the value of PPMx in improving readiness of the Tactical Wheeled Vehicle (TWV) fleet.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Provides visibility into asset’s condition for better data-driving decisions
- Improves asset availability and performance
- Decreases overall maintenance burden
- Increases warfighter readiness and lethality
- U.S. Army Project Manager Transportation Systems (PM TS)
- U.S. Army National Training Center (NTC), Ft. Irwin
- U.S. Army Integrated Logistics Support Center (ILSC)
- U.S. Army Combat Capabilities Development Command (CCDC)
- U.S. Navy Program Management Office (PMO) Joint Technical Data Integration (JTDI)
- Oshkosh Defense
- Ricardo Defense
- Cost savings
- Repair turn-around time
- Maintenance avoidance and reliability
- Maintenance management improvement
- Improved readiness