NCMS Project #: 142042
Problem: Operator and technical manuals need to be easy to read and understand and be a quick reference that is capable of holding the end user’s attention while they search for an answer. Many consumers and end users become frustrated by the size and ambiguity of the manuals and simply set them aside. This is also a complaint from maintenance personnel who are tasked with repairing the vehicle as quickly as possible and get it back into production. This situation can become critical when equipment is essential to productivity in an austere condition such as extreme terrain or weather.
Benefit: The streamlined process can provide a viable option for the Army and other Services to save time and costs when producing and updating technical manuals. These results can be shared with the commercial sector as they are struggling with the same challenges.
Solution/Approach: This initiative looks to develop a streamlined technical manual development process that will provide an operator and maintenance technical manual update in a shorter time for less cost. It will pilot this process for a Cold Weather Start Kit (CWSK) recently installed on the Medium Mine Protected Vehicle (MMPV) as a surrogate to industry to demonstrate how commercial process and tools can help develop alternative ways to streamline the production of technical manuals and improve their ease of use with operators and maintainers.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Improve timeliness and cost associated with publishing technical manuals
- Reduce operator-induced maintenance errors and accidents
- Safer work environment for maintenance artisans
- Decrease inspection and maintenance time and cost
- Increase warfighter readiness
- U.S. Army Project Manager Multi Mission Protected Vehicles (MMPV)
- VSE Corporation
- Cost savings
- Repair turn-around time
- Maintenance avoidance and reliability
- Obsolescence management and continued maintenance capability
- Positive environmental impact
- Maintenance management improvement
- Improved readiness
- Reliability improvement
- Business process automation