NCMS Project #: 140860
Problem: The current version of the Joint Requirements Oversight Council’s (JROC) Knowledge Management/Decision Support (KM/DS) tool severely limits the ability of OSD (AT&L) and the Joint Staff’s ability to identify requirements and conduct market research. Nearly every Functional Capabilities Board has expressed concern with the capability of KM/DS: the lack of search capability, analytics, and visualization drive excessive manpower requirements, and result in an analysis that is not repeatable or reproducible.
Benefit: There are many advantages to adopting a KM business strategy. KM prevents staff from constantly reinventing the wheel, provides a baseline for progress measurement, reduces the burden on expert attrition, makes visual thinking tangible, and effectively manages large volumes of information to help employees serve their clients better and faster. KM opens the doors to a new era of collaboration and sharing. Each DoD component can take advantage of this project as it matures and characterizes the KM/DS attributes for maintenance and sustainment while optimizing the warfighting business processes.
Solution/Approach: The project initiative will explore the trade space of KM, content analytics, and data visualization to determine requirements for an upgrade to JROC’s KM/DS and provide proof-of-concept examples for the derived requirement. Results will drastically improve OSD (AT&L) and the Joint Staff’s ability to conduct Capability Portfolio Management, add efficiencies to the requirements process, and provide better requirements input into the Defense Acquisition System.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Increased availability and sustainability of in-service materiel and support equipment
- Greater search capabilities, analytics and visualization
- Provides data into meaningful and actionable information
- Reduced manpower requirements
- U.S. Marine Corps, Installations & Logistics (LPC)
- U.S. Marine Corps, Capabilities Development and Integration (LID)
- OSD (AT&L), Joint Operations Support Office
- Joint Staff, Director for Requirements
- United Global Group, Inc.
Technology Focus Area(s):
- Cost savings
- Improved readiness