NCMS Project #: 142181
Problem: New enhanced features and capabilities for military vehicles such as communication equipment, autonomy kits, situational awareness systems and displays, and other required subsystems add to vehicle volume and require electrical power to operate. These electrical systems generate heat, which increases the vehicle’s cooling burden and drives up fuel consumption. Electrical power for sub-systems operations and the power needed to cool the subsystems subtract from available vehicle automotive power. Thus, high electrical or cooling requirements prompts more power generation, which drives the need for more automotive power and higher fuel consumption and operating costs.
Benefit: The completion of the project will serve as an example to commercial industry in providing obsolescence resistant redesigned LRUs that can be consolidated to save SWaP-C. This technology will be applicable to ruggedized, long lifecycle, safety critical industries such as mining, forestry, aircraft manufacturing, and medical equipment.
Solution/Approach: Phase III will design, develop, and test the portable Line Replaceable Unit (LRU) test kit, mature, verify, and validate LRU manufacturing readiness, complete full system integration and test and initial operator and maintainer evaluations, and finalize key maintenance and sustainment tasks required for safe operations in the Abrams M1A2T. The overall objective is to design a common LRU for the fire control system of an M1A2 similar to configuration combat vehicle system which takes up less volume, uses less electrical power, requires less cooling, is easier and cheaper to maintain, and will extend the useful life of the Abrams vehicle fleet.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Improve supply chain reliability
- Reduce maintenance and sustainment costs
- Decrease environmental burdens
- U.S. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command (TACOM), Integrated Logistics Support Center (ILSC)
- Program Executive Office Ground Combat Systems (PEO GCS)
- Program Management (PM) Main Battle Tank Systems (MBTS)
- Product Director (PD) Foreign Military Sales (FMS)
- U.S. Army Combat Capability Development Command (DEVCOM) Ground Vehicle Systems Center (GVSC)
- U.S. Army Combat Capability Development Command (DEVCOM) Armaments Center (AC)
- General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS-Canada)
- Leonardo DRS Land Electronics (DRS) (observer)
- Cost savings
- Repair turn-around time
- Maintenance avoidance and reliability
- Positive environmental impact
- Maintenance management improvement
- Improved readiness
- Reliability improvement
- Reliability improvement (hardware)