NCMS Project #: 142090
Problem: Traditionally, most maintenance professionals have combined many techniques, both quantitative and qualitative, in an effort to identify failure modes and mitigate equipment downtime. Maintaining the status quo is no longer an option. Engineering must adopt digital processes and tools now to keep up with developments such as autonomous and robotics technologies.
Benefit: The information flow and semi-automated material movement will facilitate vehicle maintenance repair operations in a predictive way that decreases repair time, lowers cost, and maximizes readiness and operational availability.
Solution/Approach: The advent of cloud-based digital engineering tools solves this problem. Now companies can actually visualize and study exactly what is happening inside their most critical product systems by using a three-dimensional virtual model that is subjected to the same environmental conditions as the working product. The intent of this initiative is to create and demonstrate an intelligent vehicle predictive maintenance foundation using a secure cloud platform. This will facilitate innovation and continuous improvement through the application of advanced digital engineering technologies such as AI/ML, 3D data thread, data analytics, and the IoT. Using the Army’s Next Generation Combat Vehicle program as surrogate, this capability will leverage condition-based maintenance technologies.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Provide ability to analyze and adapt quickly to modernize capabilities
- Make more timely, relevant, informed decisions
- Predict lifecycle needs
- Eliminate equipment downtime
- Reduce maintenance cost
- Improve reliability
- Increase warfighter readiness
- U.S. Army Optionally Manned Fighting Vehicle (OMFV), Program Manager – Maneuver Combat Systems (PM-MCS)
- U.S. Army Next Generation Combat Vehicle (NGCV) Cross Functional Team (CFT) stakeholders
- U.S. Army Program Executive Office (PEO)-Ground Combat Systems (GCS) and sub commands (observer)
- U.S. Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command (TACOM), Integrated Logistics Support Center (ILSC) (observer)
- U.S. Marine Corps Systems Command (MARCORSYSCOM), Program Manager Light Armored Vehicles (PM LAV) & PEO-Land Systems Advanced Reconnaissance Vehicle (ARV) (observer)
- U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) Program Manager Family of Special Operations Vehicles (PM FOSOV) Advanced Ground Mobility System (observer)
- Cost savings
- Maintenance management improvement
- Advanced/additive manufacturing