Ground Vehicle Maintenance Trainer – Phase IV
NCMS Project #: 142154
Problem: Today, commercial industry is grappling with how to best apply innovative technologies to address the challenge of providing effective maintenance and sustainment training for mechanics and technicians at the point of need anywhere in the world. Virtual training on its own does not provide maintainers with the hands-on access to the physical Line Replaceable Unit (LRU) hardware which is vital for skill development. LRU’s are hardware components that are removed and replaced at the field level to restore the vehicle to an operational ready condition.
Benefit: The Army can utilize the lessons learned from this initiative to make improvements in the maintenance and sustainment of vehicles and other weapon systems across the Army and other Services. The completion of these tasks will serve as an example to commercial industry on how to improve the overall maintenance training for vehicle systems by integrating virtual training with hands on access maintenance training.
Solution/Approach: To bridge the gap between realistic training on tactical vehicles and virtual training, Parts Task Trainers (PTTs) will be used. PTTs are physical mockups or modified tactical components of a ground vehicle subsystem that emulate operational and functional capabilities of the subsystem to allow training on maintenance tasks in vehicle operation, fault diagnosis, troubleshooting, adjustments, component removal/replacement, and other maintenance and repair tasks for the vehicle powertrain subsystem. Phase IV will incorporate lessons learned from Phase III and continue to expand the PTT training applications and develop the manufacturing processes necessary to produce complex PTTs at scale.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Improve maintenance and sustainment of ground combat vehicles and other weapon systems
- Reduce vehicle downtime
- Enhance maintenance and sustainment training
- Increase operational readiness and strategic flexibility
- Project Manager (PM) Soldier Training
- PM Virtual Training Systems
- Program Executive Office (PEO) Ground Combat Systems (GCS)
- PM Mounted Armored Vehicles (MAV)
- PEO Simulation, Training, and Instrumentation (STRI)
- CLogic Defense
- Cost savings
- Repair turn-around time
- Maintenance avoidance and reliability
- Maintenance management improvement
- Improved readiness
- Workforce development/visualization