NCMS Project #: 141041
Problem: Vehicle applications are utilizing and combining sensors with video inputs/outputs to produce advances in safety, situational awareness and diagnostics. The high amount of processing and system bandwidth required to support the advanced features is driving the use of state–of–the–art processing and memory technologies. These processors, along with associated peripheral integrated circuits, have short component lifecycles that exasperates a growing obsolescence issue within vehicles.
Benefit: The effort is applicable across any vehicle platform requiring complex processing of sensors and video. Additionally, validation of the manufacturing processes is a critical aspect of the project, which will reduce excessive lead times, improve efficiencies and production costs, maintenance activities and spares replacement.
Solution/Approach: This project will explore a process for obsolescence resistant design improvements for advanced computing processor assemblies that may be applied commonly across electronic control devices by addressing Army Line Replaceable Units requiring general purpose processing, fire control, sensor fusion, video management and remote/autonomous operation. Design alternates will be evaluated against the weighted criteria and an assessment report will be created recommending the preferred design approach.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Reduce maintenance and sustainment lifecycle costs
- Improve supply chain reliability
- Decrease overall environment impact due to waste disposal
- Preserve warfighter readiness and lethality
- U.S. Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command (TACOM), Integrated Logistics Support Center (ILSC)
- Program Executive Office Ground Combat Systems (PEO GCS)
- U.S. Army Combat Capability Development Command (CCDEVCOM) Ground Vehicle Systems Center (GVSC)
- General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS)
- Cost savings
- Obsolescence management and continued maintenance capability
- Positive environmental impact
- Reliability improvement
- Business processes/partnerships