NCMS Project #: 141064
Problem: Obsolescence/supply chain management problems increase as platform capability and complexity grows, which becomes a key factor in maintenance and sustainment costs. These requirements disproportionally affect the maintenance and sustainment of commercial vehicles and equipment in sectors such as mining, forestry, aircraft manufacturing, and medical equipment. Vehicle applications are utilizing and combining sensors with video inputs/outputs to produce advances in safety, situational awareness and diagnostics. These processors, along with associated peripheral integrated circuits, have short component life cycles that exasperates a growing obsolescence issue within vehicles. A redesign to the Army’s Bradley Fighting Vehicle (BFV) Fire Control Processing (FCP) capability is needed to address obsolescence and supply chain threat issues related to the main processor/logic bearing components.
Benefit: Implementing a design solution using components that can mitigate obsolescence and supply chain risk can significantly increase component life and reduce supply chain threats. Longer electronic unit life cycles will reduce the overall equipment cost and provide stability to the commercial supply chain system. With increased life and reduced sustainment lifecycle costs, vehicle owners in the public and commercial sectors will directly benefit from lower transportation costs and greater vehicle reliability.
Solution/Approach: As a logical progression and extension of the accomplishments of Phase I, Phase II will provide a qualified Line Replaceable Unit (LRU), deliver a competitive Technical Data Package (TDP suitable) for competition and future acquisition, and provide support for System Level Software Qualification, and Government Test leading to a safety confirmation.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Improve performance
- Extend lifecycle
- Reduce obsolescence and supply chain risks
- Decrease costs
- Diminish environmental impacts
- Increase warfighter readiness
- U.S. Army TACOM, Integrated Logistics Support Center (ILSC)
- Program Executive Office Ground Combat Systems (PEO GCS)
- U.S. Army Combat Capability Development Command (CCDEVCOM) Ground Vehicle Systems Center (GVSC), formerly known as U.S. Army TARDEC
- General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS)
- Cost savings
- Obsolescence management and continued maintenance capability
- Positive environmental impact
- Reliability improvement
- Business processes/partnerships