3D Virtual Industrial Maintenance Planning Optimization
NCMS Project #: 140998
Problem: The maintenance and sustainment community across public and commercial industries consistently face 3D data sharing, utilization, and interoperability constraints. Data standards, data rights and availability of software agnostic technical data packages are limited and in short supply across DoD and general public’s domains. This limitation significantly affects the availability of end-user 3D file capabilities for standardization, training, 3D file specifications and requisitioning, and best practices.
Benefit: This effort will lead to innovations in the public and private sector with team coordination capabilities associated with advanced industrial planning processes for infrastructure maintenance and sustainment activities. As an important aspect of shipyard sustainment and modernization efforts, having technical information, synchronized system data, validated 3D model files, and shared user experiences will greatly aid in maintaining work efficiencies, and understand interoperability.
Solution/Approach: The participants will identify and combine best practices with open-source and highly–mature IT technologies existing in both government and the general public. This concept demonstration project intends to develop a 3D Virtual Environment (3DVE) where Navy ship/submarine, shore infrastructure maintainers, and Fleet stakeholders have ready access to accurate geo-enabled virtual 3D representations of industrial shipyard environments, validated 3D model files, technical information, training, and shared user experiences.
Impact on Warfighter:
- Improved processes and maximized workforce efficiencies
- Quick and educated decision-making
- Improved productivity
- Reduced maintenance and labor costs
- Increased warfighter readiness and lethality
- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Engineering and Expeditionary Warfare Center (EXWC)
- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Headquarters
- Synergy Software Design, LLC
- Cost savings
- Repair turn-around time
- Maintenance avoidance and reliability
- Positive environmental impact
- Maintenance management improvement
- Improved readiness
- Business processes/partnerships