The 2018 Maintenance Innovation Challenge (MIC) finalists have been announced. Included in the six finalists this year are three NCMS member companies including Wet Technologies, SurClean, Inc., and new member, Maglogix, LLC. Joining these are submissions from the U.S. Army and Air Force.
All finalists have been invited to present their technologies on Monday, December 17 at the DoD Maintenance Symposium in Tampa, Florida. The Joint Technology Exchange Group (JTEG) principals chose these submissions amongst an extremely varied and high-quality field of 74 innovations.
The six finalists selected are (listed in alphabetical order):
- Green Wet Blasting Technology for Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul of DoD Components – Submitted by Frederick A. Greis, Wet Technologies Inc.
- Laser Ablation and Naval Maintenance Applications – Submitted by Janice Bryant, NAVSEA Tactical Innovation Implementation Lab, and Susan L. Sprentall, SurClean, Inc.
- Metal Additive Manufacturing Tooling and Testing Equipment – Submitted by Martin Williams, U.S. Air Force, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Complex, 76th Commodities Maintenance Group, REACT
- Repository of Additive Parts for Tactical & Operational Readiness (RAPTOR) equals Readiness – Submitted by Timothy Phillis, United States Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering
- Robotic Automation for Environment, Safety, and Occupational Health (ESOH) Risk Reduction, Throughput Increase, and Improved Quality – Submitted by Shane Groves, U.S. Air Force
- Using Multi-Pole Magnetic Technology to Improve Productivity, Quality, and Safety – Submitted by Jim Michael, Maglogix, LLC.
Following their presentations at the DoD Maintenance Symposium the submissions will be ranked and scored by the DoD’s most senior maintenance and sustainment leaders and an overall winner will be selected and announced during the plenary session on December 18. Additionally, the audience will select a “Peoples Favorite” based on the presentations on December 17. All 74 submissions will be included in the 2018 Maintenance Innovation Challenge brochure.
For more information on the DoD Maintenance Symposium, please see: https://www.sae.org/events/dod/
For more information on the Maintenance Innovation Challenge, please see: https://competition.ncms.org