CTMA Project Announcement: Naval History & Heritage Command (NHHC) Display Aircraft Inspection Initiative – Phase II
To ensure that these artifacts are not neglected and are maintained in a condition that ensures public safety and respect for the Navy’s heritage, a CTMA Phase I pilot program was launched in the state of Florida. This baseline assessment represented the initial phase of the solution to implement a comprehensive sustainment plan for the artifacts and static displays for all borrower locations.
Because these artifacts and aircraft are on static display, understanding the different inspection requirements between an artifact or aircraft being “airworthy” and one that is “museum/static display” is essential. The safe display of an artifact or aircraft resting on the ground or its landing gear solely depends on an inspector’s ability to understand and identify corrosion specific to lightweight aircraft metals and discrepancies in critical loaded areas that could result in material failure and subsequent injury or death to visitors. It is necessary to balance expert knowledge in areas of artifacts and aircraft worthiness inspections and that of safety and cosmetic concerns on static displays.
This collaborative CTMA Phase II initiative will provide a venue in which the public and private communities can efficiently and effectively work together to identify necessary and cost-effective approaches to improve maintenance and sustainment and ultimately ensure public safety and protection of the environment where these artifacts and aircraft are located.
The objectives of Phase II are to:
- Provide multi-disciplined support staff to implement Phase II.
- Refine program requirements and training plan.
- Provide appropriate engineering and artifact/aircraft SMEs.
- Research/identify environmental hazards for each artifact or aircraft make/model.
- Refine Inspection Plan based on assessment of the Fleet.
- Validate Inspection and Quality Control Checklists.
- Continue to develop and maintain existing program database and Integrated Data Environment for data management/collaboration.
- Provide documentation on maintenance and sustainment status for static displayed assets.